Family Advent Resources
Experiencing Advent as a Family
Do you know what Advent means? Coming. Arrival. During the season of Advent we look back to the birth of Jesus whose arrival on earth signifies the incarnation of true Hope, Joy, Peace, and Love. As the family of God, we also look forward to the time when Jesus will return and our longing to experience Hope, Joy, Peace, and Love without limits will be fulfilled.
During this first week of Advent, as we gathered for worship on Sunday, we learned together about "Waiting." Whether your countdown to Christmas includes an Advent wreath, a special book, an Advent calendar, or simply your child asking every day "how many days until we open presents," our collective human experience during this time of year reveals that we are waiting for something greater. We are longing for and looking for a King, a Rescuer who will lead with love and justice and will heal our broken hearts and our broken world.
Here are some of my favorite resources for celebrating Advent:
ADVENT CALENDAR IDEAS
- Activity ideas for your Advent calendar from Meet Penny
- Advent calendar activities from The Idea Room
- 25 Days of Advent Service Ideas from Nourishing Joy
ADVENT DEVOTIONAL RESOURCES
- Daily 5 minute family devotionals from Jelly Telly Parents
- Jesus Storybook Bible daily Advent readings and printables
- Unwrapping the Greatest Gift: A Family Celebration of Chrsistmas by Anne Voskamp
- Truth in the Tinsel e-book and many other wonderful resources!
- The Advent Jesse Tree by Dean Lambert Smith
- The Biggest Story: How the Snake Crusher Brings Us Back to the Garden by Kevin DeYoung
I'm praying that each of us, between the school Christmas parties, the white elephant gifts, and what feels like the 100th run to the store, will find a moment. And in that moment, a simple span of quiet that fills you with wonder, I pray you'll glimpse the Baby in the manger. The God who became man to find you. The King who will come again. And that in His presence you will find joy.